Thomas Whittaker  ‎(I29482)‎
Name:
Thomas Whittaker

Gender: MaleMale
      

Birth: 1690 21 20 Onnerley Chapel, Staffordshire, England
Personal Facts and Details
Birth 1690 21 20 Onnerley Chapel, Staffordshire, England


Note: Madeley is in NW Staffordshire, just over a mile from the Shropshire border and four miles E of Newcastle-under-Lyme. The parish was formerly an extensive one, occupying the fertile, hilly ground as far W as the county boundary. It consisted of the three villages of Great, Middle and Little Madeley and Onneley, to the W. All of these lie along the A525 road from Whitchurch to Newcastle. Madeley was apparently always the largest settlement. The church is alongside the main road, with the Old Hall ‎(now a 17thc. building)‎ immediately to the N. Old Madeley manor is a mile to the S, but ruinous, and the new manor is in Little Madeley to the NE. Red and blue clay is still extracted for brick manufacture, and coal was formerly mined at Leycett colliery ‎(closed 1957)‎ and Silverdale ‎(closed 1998)‎. All Saints is a red sandstone church with a nave with aisles, a S porch and transepts, a chancel with a N chapel and a W tower. The oldest part of the church is the 12thc. N arcade. The S arcade and clerestorey are ofc.1300, and both aisles have been widened; the N in the 14thc. and the S in the 15thc., to judge from the windows. The nave aisles are of four bays and extend partway alongside the tower to the W. The S porch is 15thc. Its original entrance has been blocked, and the modern entrance to the church is through a doorway cut into the E wall of the porch, allowing the insertion of lavatories at the S end. The N transept was added in the 14thc., and a lancet at the W end of the N arcade wall ‎(originally the outer wall)‎ indicates that there was no transept here before that. The S transept is 15thc., as is the N chancel chapel ‎(now a vestry)‎. The chancel itself was completely rebuilt in 1872 as part of a restoration by Charles Lynam of Stoke-on-Trent. Views of the church before this restoration are in the William Salt library. The tower is 15thc. with a 19thc. battlemented parapet with finials. Romanesque sculpture is found in the N nave arcade.
Baptism 4 January 1691 ‎(Age 12 months)‎ All Saints Church, Madeley, Staffordshire, England


Source: S625

View Details for ...

Parents Family  (F5177)
William Whittaker
1669 - 1731
Alice ‎(unknown)‎
1670 - 1715
Thomas Whittaker
1690 -
Thomas Whittaker
1692 -
James Whiitaker
1694 -
Roger Whittaker
1696 - 1764


Notes
Birth Madeley is in NW Staffordshire, just over a mile from the Shropshire border and four miles E of Newcastle-under-Lyme. The parish was formerly an extensive one, occupying the fertile, hilly ground as far W as the county boundary. It consisted of the three villages of Great, Middle and Little Madeley and Onneley, to the W. All of these lie along the A525 road from Whitchurch to Newcastle. Madeley was apparently always the largest settlement. The church is alongside the main road, with the Old Hall ‎(now a 17thc. building)‎ immediately to the N. Old Madeley manor is a mile to the S, but ruinous, and the new manor is in Little Madeley to the NE. Red and blue clay is still extracted for brick manufacture, and coal was formerly mined at Leycett colliery ‎(closed 1957)‎ and Silverdale ‎(closed 1998)‎. All Saints is a red sandstone church with a nave with aisles, a S porch and transepts, a chancel with a N chapel and a W tower. The oldest part of the church is the 12thc. N arcade. The S arcade and clerestorey are ofc.1300, and both aisles have been widened; the N in the 14thc. and the S in the 15thc., to judge from the windows. The nave aisles are of four bays and extend partway alongside the tower to the W. The S porch is 15thc. Its original entrance has been blocked, and the modern entrance to the church is through a doorway cut into the E wall of the porch, allowing the insertion of lavatories at the S end. The N transept was added in the 14thc., and a lancet at the W end of the N arcade wall ‎(originally the outer wall)‎ indicates that there was no transept here before that. The S transept is 15thc., as is the N chancel chapel ‎(now a vestry)‎. The chancel itself was completely rebuilt in 1872 as part of a restoration by Charles Lynam of Stoke-on-Trent. Views of the church before this restoration are in the William Salt library. The tower is 15thc. with a 19thc. battlemented parapet with finials. Romanesque sculpture is found in the N nave arcade.

View Notes for ...


Sources
Baptism S625

View Sources for ...


Media
There are no media objects for this individual.
View Media for ...


Family with Parents
Father
William Whittaker ‎(I29475)‎
Birth 1669 26 24 Betley, Staffordshire, England
Death 1731 ‎(Age 62)‎ Betley, Staffordshire, England
1 year
Mother
 
Alice ‎(unknown)‎ ‎(I29476)‎
Birth about 1670 ‎(of)‎ Staffordshire
Death 1715 ‎(Age 45)‎ Betley, Staffordshire

#1
Thomas Whittaker ‎(I29482)‎
Birth 1690 21 20 Onnerley Chapel, Staffordshire, England
2 years
#2
Brother
Thomas Whittaker ‎(I29483)‎
Birth 1692 23 22 Onnerley Chapel, Staffordshire, England
2 years
#3
Brother
James Whiitaker ‎(I29481)‎
Birth 1694 25 24 Onnerley Chapel, Staffordshire, England
3 years
#4
Brother
Roger Whittaker ‎(I22075)‎
Birth 29 June 1696 27 26 Onnerley Chapel, Staffordshire, England
Death 1764 ‎(Age 67)‎ Betley, Staffordshire, England